Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady
Catholic communities of Sisters devoted to caring for the sick were instrumental in developing the hospital system in America. One or more hospitals in every major city of the United States can trace its heritage to the efforts of Catholic Sisters.
The Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady, one of the many orders of Sisters operating throughout the world and in the United States of America, began in 1854 when seven autonomous groups of Franciscan Sisters in France banded together and were named the Franciscan Sisters of Calais.
With the impetus of a rapidly growing organization, the Franciscan Sisters of Calais expanded into Europe, Asia, and North and South America. The United States group, organized and operating solely in Louisiana, began in 1911 when six Franciscan Sisters arrived in response to a request from Bishop Van de Ven to bring their healing ministry to Louisiana. Two years later in 1913, St. Francis Sanitarium opened in Monroe.
In 1921, the Franciscan Sisters were invited to open a sanitarium in Baton Rouge. Our Lady of the Lake Sanitarium was dedicated in 1923.
Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Lafayette was opened in 1949 in response to an invitation from Bishop Jeanmard. In 2004, St. Elizabeth Hospital became a sponsored hospital under the Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady Health System.
Many decades later, the congregation of the Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady remains strongly committed to its ministry of health and spiritual wholeness, serving all of God's people through their ministry of healthcare.
To read more about the Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady, please visit their website at www.fmolsisters.com.